2006-07-26

ゲド戦記/Tales from Earthsea

Just found out that the new Japanese animated film by Studio Ghibli ゲド戦記 is based on the third book of the Earthsea series written by Ursula K. Le Guin. Wow, I read those so long ago... in primary school? Can't remember much of the plot right now, though I remember the main character sailing from island to island and then off somewhere towards the end. My mental image of the series doesn't fit the trailers which I saw. In fact, my mental image of the series is more in shades of grey, almost like a black and white movie, where they say very little and a sad mood underpins the film. With thin trinkling music, not full orchestra stuff. (I wonder why?) Definitely not the colourful fantasy worlds that Studio Ghibli creates. Probably that's why I didn't make any connection even upon seeing the trailers and having my friend tell me it was based on an English book.