2007-03-20

Trip to California: Day 1
IMG_4727

Somehow I hear "California Dreaming" in my head...

Be that as it may, I was in California for one week on a school trip. March 11-18. Ostensibly, the aim of the trip was to foster entrepreneurship in us students. However, the final goal was not to have everyone become entrepreneurs per se, but to encourage the students to think seriously about their future, not give up their dreams, and of course to see first-hand what it's like in Silicon Valley.

Once again, I set off with only my backpack (I was not the one with the least luggage, although I was the only person who did without a suitcase) and it was off to San Francisco airport. The flight was from Fukuoka to Narita, and then Narita to San Francisco. The intercontinental flight was via United Airlines. Suffice it to say I did not get to enjoy the inflight movies, and the food was not spectacular. Anyway, what was really interesting about the flight was the turbulence. Really bad for most of the flight. It was the first time out of Japan for a very few of the students, but what an experience it must have been for them.

Anyway, we landed safely and then proceeded to tour San Francisco for half a day before heading for our hotel in San Jose. Bright sunshine and clear skies lifted everyone's spirits after the long flight. Ate sourdough. Most of the Japanese didn't like it. Well, I mean, it was meant to be sour...

Photograph is of my luggage while in transit at Narita.