2007-08-23

At the library

Am at the National Library with my notebook PC now. On a weekday! Finally out of camp, after a gruelling spell. Not really physically taxing, but with combat shoots and live firings, we didn't have a proper weekend last week. And this weekend is taken up by the Army Half-Marathon, which means booking in and out ,and in again on Saturday and Sunday. So I'll enjoy this day off as much as I can...

And in recent reading, I got round to reading "The Sirens of Titan" by Kurt Vonnegut, as recommended by satoshiyamada. Yup, as he said, it abounded in irony. It really makes you think. I guess the main thrust of the book is "What's the point? Who's in control?", although it might also be just a fantastical SF parody. The book reminded me of Douglas Adam's Hitchiker series, although it's more ironic and of course, the flavour of it isn't British at all. I can't decide if the writer is just playing with the story for ironic effect or really wants to say something. Possibly both. It needs a second reading, but I'll leave that for later. You should read it too!


Comments:
hi,

i am happy that you are interested in Kurt's book.

he is still active and ironic according to this article

http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0305-27.htm

i want to read it again, too!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home